Monday, April 18, 2022

Gravestone of Lt. Col. John B. Adkins, USAF

John B. Adkins

Bushnell, Sumter Co., Florida, USA

LOT 112, 0, 120

This post may seem a bit odd, but in the course of recently researching D-Day, I came across an article about the Normandy American Cemetery.  That in turn led me to take a look at the website of the Florida National Cemetery, and then on a hunch looked for and found this entry for my father on Find a Grave, made by one "13th Generation Fairbanks in America."

Apparently, the Mr. Fairbanks who photographed this marker has been documenting gravestones for eight years, and is currently focusing on veterans' final resting places.

I don't think it's morbid, but a way of both honoring my father and thanking the volunteer photographers, especially Mr. Fairbanks, for their efforts.

Dad did 2 tours in Vietnam, one in '67-'68 at Tân Sơn Nhứt (where he experienced the Tet offensive), and then again in, I think, '73.  

He retired after 25 years in the service after a posting at SOCCENT (MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL). 

Incidentally, I was born on the very same base.

Not sure what his job at SOCCENT consisted of, but he carried a red passport (one of three he had) with some pretty interesting visas stamped inside....  

When I once asked exactly what it was he did, he said, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to cut your head off and put it in my safe." 

I once visited his office, and while he was on the phone, happened to look down into the heating vent, where he had placed a white, folded card printed with the phrase "THINK WAR!" in red.

One day, I will dig out a letter he wrote his parents from his off-base barracks, in which some of the same ironic humor, and even cynicism, paint an interesting portrait of life in Saigon for the young (21 y.o.) Lieutenant from rural Ohio.
  
And people wonder why I tackle such dark subjects on LoS with humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Need to add an image? Use this code: [ximg]IMAGE-URL-HERE[x/img]. You will need to remove the the boldface x's from the code to make it work.